Friday, March 30, 2007

The Bruins Rnt Guna Win

With their loss to the Penguins, the Bruins are officially eliminated from the playoffs, and at the moment they're losing 2-0 to the Thrashers. Liz and her friend John are at the game. Earlier today I went out to lunch with her and she tried to convince me to go. Other than the fact that I was wearing bright pink-and-purple plaid pajama pants (I was only planning on dropping the tickets off), I just didn't have it in me to go to another game. Barring a miracle (read: kickass seats), the Penguins game will be the last one I'll go to in a while. By the time the season starts next year, I'll be away at college, and because the nearest places I applied were in Toronto and Minnesota, home games will be rare. It's strange to think about.

Eric Frede is saying right now that the Garden is "lacking energy" during this game. On that note, the best part of the Penguins game had nothing to do with the game itself (outside of Kessel's goal). It was when they showed a Cam Neely montage. It started with big hits and various scenes of him screaming at someone, spitting blood with every word, then moved on to show some of his better goals. Everyone in the building, including all players on both benches, were completely captivated by it. If only the Bruins took more than entertainment from that, we wouldn't hate them so much.

You have to look at the other side of things, though. Tim Thomas has been the only person who has looked like he cared for the whole season. When the rest of the team sucked and was barely skating, he kept them in the game and never gave up. To show our appreciation, we gave him the 7th Player Award. Then he let in a soft goal, and people started booing him. Infuriated, I started in on a loud, obscenity-laden rant about how angry I was and how much people suck, which caused the booers in my section to quiet down (I don't think I intimidated them so much as there were children around and they anxiously wanted me to stop). These were probably the same people that, seeing that the Bruins would show your text message on the jumbotron, texted them "the bruins r guna win" when they were down 3-2. Sigh.

After the game I went home, but Paula stayed after with a couple of people to wait for the players (don't even ask). They met Andrew Ference, who was apparently very nice, friendly, and dorky. She mentioned the video that I showed her when he was first traded here in which he talked about DDR and Guitar Hero, and he enthusiastically replied that they used to have intense Guitar Hero battles up in Calgary. He gave some guy his stick, then went into the parking lot. He then came out on a bicycle and rode away into the night. With the effort he's put in on the ice, him calling out Dave Lewis, and his apparent dorkiness, he's well on his way to becoming my favorite Bruin.

With the Flames' insane play as of late, the Avs playoff hopes are all but over. It feels awful to admit it before they're mathematically eliminated, but I'm not hoping much anymore. That being said, I'm still watching, and I'm still pissed off that Marek Svatos is on the fourth line. The fact that he deserves better, though I believe it, can be argued against. But what I think most people can agree is that he's much more useful in a scoring role. His biggest contribution will be his offense, so he should be given the opportunity to score. I know he's been given that opportunity, but later in the year he showed flashes of being able to sustain his production. If you're not going to put him on the top two lines, at least put him with Tyler Arnason again and give him a chance, for these last few games, to show that he can contribute somehow.

The Bruins just lost in the last 20 seconds to the Thrashers. I've heard from a few people that they're not going to fire Dave Lewis. That would be a huge mistake. Even my crazy grandmother knows he's bad, and she's my version of Bill Simmon's mother- if she knows something, clearly it's big news. Except that she's also completely insane. One time, her electricity bill was about $5 higher than she thought it should be, and, assuming the man who lives beneath her was stealing it, unplugged every appliance in her apartment to catch him. That woman knows Dave Lewis isn't doing his job. He should take a page from MacT. I cringed reading what he made the guys do. That means he's doing his job.

Unrelated to hockey, the Phoenix FSN station, which broadcast the Avs game the other night, had commercials running for The Eric Byrnes Show, which nearly gave me seizures. Outside of anyone on the Yankees, he's my least favorite baseball player. The animosity stems back to the 2003 ALDS against the A's, and has in no way dimimshed since then. I loathe Eric Byrnes maybe as much as Daniel Briere, though Eric Byrnes is actually an asshole. I can't believe that people like the guy.

Edit: Wicked Bruins Fan has a nice Dave-Lewis bashing post up. Hating him is my new favorite hobby, though I'm afraid it could get out of hand. Oh well. Obsession is a young man's game, eh?

13 comments:

Black Dog said...

Where did you apply in T.O.?

Great city - you'll love it.

Katie O'D said...

University of Toronto. Huge longshot, but they're the only school other than Alberta that has paleontology, so I figured why not? I've never been to Toronto but I really want to visit. There's a good chance that I'll take a road trip there this summer. Wicked excited!

MacS said...

Very cool that your friend got to meet Ference. Was she suprised at how small he was?

And ya, I think thats the end for the Avs. Think Joe will go play for Team Canada? I'm sure Statsny will play for team USA.

Black Dog said...

I'm a U of T grad myself.

Big school - 50000 people.

Plus is that the campus is right downtown and there are a million things to do.

Minus is that the campus is right downtown and there are a million things to do. :)

If you do make a trip up this summer fire me an email or write a note - I'll point you in the direction of some local, off the beaten path things you should catch.

jimbuff said...

katie:
If you did go to school in T.O. and started liking the Leafs we would have to revoke your Bruins' blogging rights. Remember true Bruins fans NEVER cheer for Toronto!

Katie O'D said...

Kyle- She didn't mention his height, but they took a picture and he definitely wasn't towering over anyone. I haven't really thought about who will play, but I'm sure a few Avs will.

Black Dog- Thanks! I'll let you know if we're going. Just keep in mind that all of my friends hate hockey, so if I brought them to a hockey-related place they'd tear me to shreds. Sad but true.

Jimbuff- Good GOD! I'd never root for the Leafs! I'm the obnoxious person who wears a Sox shirt around NY; no way would the Leafs win me over.

Black Dog said...

Katie - HHOF? Come on - you know you'll have to either sneak away or drag them with you - worth the visit obviously.

Anyone who comes to Toronto as a non-Leafs' fan only has their allegiance strengthened by the foolishness here.

Anonymous said...

Amen Pat. A-fucking-men. I was ambivalent about the Leafs until I moved here - I now take active pleasure when they lose.

Katie, I'm a U of T grad too and I had a blast while I was there - you can drag your shit up and play intramurals plus there's some decent women's hockey in town, although they've probably got that in Edmonton and Minny as well.

I'm amazed you don't want to go to school near home - Boston is good times. If you're in Canada, Pat's correct in that you're basically required to check out the HHOF. Come up when the Sox are in town - they have what are basically home games here. Good times.

As for the Sox in NY...I have a picture of me in front of Letterman's theatre at 3 in the morning wearing a Sox jersey. Then we walked to the WTC. New Yorkers are pussies; nobody said a word. If I'd done that in Edmonton with a Flames jersey, someone would have stabbed me, the way God intended.

Katie O'D said...

Maybe I can trick them into going to the HHOF. Or if that doesn't work I can take the easy way out and just bribe them. We checked and I don't think there are any Sox games when we want to go, though, which sucks.

I'd love to go to school in Boston, if I wasn't from around here. I think I just need to be away for a bit.

Even weirder than going to NY was going to Ireland. EVERYONE wore Yankees stuff there. It took me about a week and a half of dirty looks with no response for someone to tell me that they weren't actually New Yorkers, but were Irish that had been given stuff by their relatives. Poor, nice little Irish- they had no idea what was going on.

Anonymous said...

I thought that Boston got the Irish Catholics and New York got the Italian ones. Who knew?

Also your revelation with respect to CHB is seriously troubling.

Katie O'D said...

We thought the same thing, but I guess not. They were even selling Yankees stuff in department stores. Shocking and disappointing.

And with CHB- that he's my whatever-degree cousin? I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any genes we share are minor. I don't try to profit off my superstitions, I'm not (really) an asshole, and, most importantly, my hair isn't trying to eat the rest of my head. Whatever degree it is is far enough.

Black Dog said...

Meh, the HHOF is right downtown - you can head over while they're checking out something a little less interesting.

If they were really your friends they'd go with you, no questions asked. ;)

Black Dog said...

New York's got their fair share of the Oirish, Ty - just read Gangs of New York recently.

Heavy immigration there in the 1800s.

The wonderful Irish - was there in '02 and going to hopefully get there this fall again, if all goes well.

Add to Technorati Favorites